We’ve been seeing some great ideas on the internet for ways to celebrate Halloween this year. Some of them are for safe trick or treating, while others are ideas you can do with your kids in lieu of traditional trick or treating. Here are some of our favorites.
- Scavenger Hunt: If you decide not to take your kids out trick or treating this year, plan a scavenger hunt for them with treats hidden around your home.
- Trunk or Treat: Organize a trunk or treat with your neighborhood. Put your treats in the trunk of your car and let the neighborhood kids pass by, keeping their distance from you, and take a treat from the trunk.
- Costume Parade: Some neighborhoods are planning to have the children parade in front of homes, 6 feet from one another, in a costume parade. Neighbors could combine their treats and let the kids pick them up at the end of the parade.
- Reverse Trick or Treat: In this idea, the kids stay in their own yards in costume, and a parent from each home drives by and throws candy from the car.
- Glow-in-the-dark Eggs: Order glow-in-the-dark eggs from Amazon, fill them with candy, and scatter them in your yard. Kids can pick up an egg without coming too close to anyone.
- Pick a Cup or Bag: Similarly, put your candy or treats in small cups or paper bags and set them out on your porch or a table in your driveway. You can sit nearby and let the kids take their treat as they pass by.
- Halloween Piñata: Here’s another idea if your family decides to forgo trick or treating this year. Let your kids take turns whacking a pumpkin piñata until the treats spill out!
- Ring and Run Treats: This fun family activity is a new take on the old doorbell dash prank. Sneak to your kids friends’ homes and leave a treat on their porch, then ring the doorbell and run! Treats can be Halloween cookies you all bake together.
- Virtual Costume Party: Let’s face it, what the kids enjoy most is choosing a costume, dressing up, and showing it off to their friends. They can enjoy each-others’ costumes virtually with a Zoom or Facetime party.