Homeownership is the American Dream, right?
Owning a place to call home, being able to paint the walls purple if you like, that’s what everyone wants. Isn’tit? The reality is there are pros and cons for buying a house. Understanding them can help you make the best decision for your goals.
Pros for Buying
This might seem obvious, here are 3 main reasons to buy a home.
1. Financial Advantages–A home is an asset which should appreciate over time, providing wealth building opportunities.
you want those purple walls or granite countertop….you can do it.
3. Roots–Regardless of whether you have children, there is a natural desire to be part of a community: to have a local coffee shop, dry cleaners, and food markets.
As with all things, there are considerations which mean this isn’t the right time to buy a home.
1. Increased Monthly Costs– While not always the case, in some instances your monthly mortgage could be larger than comparable rent.
2. Freedom–A renter can move from one city or state to another very easily which allows you to move when you need/want to.
3. Upkeep–You are responsible for the repairs and upkeep of the property. Unexpected problems can become quite expensive if you are unprepared.